Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Colors. Oh, Colors.

We are still figuring out our color scheme. I'm sort of basing it around which bridesmaid dress I go with since I'm having trouble deciding! More on that later. In my search for the right colors, I've used quite a few tools around the internet. I want colors that are soft, romantic, girly, that will go well with the barn and the season (yellow aspens), isn't too reminiscent of Thanksgiving, and sits well with Mr. Cowboy Boot.

This picture has been a huge source of my drooling (that's a saying). Peach, coral, gold, pink, and dusty rose. It looks soooo beautiful with this redhead but I'm not sure our coloring is exactly the same.


But as soon as I mentioned pinks and roses to Mr. CB, he immediately shied away from such feminine details. So, I started thinking about us (and what Mr. CB wouldn't say no to) and I started visualizing colors based on natural elements: slate from river rock, emerald like lake water, white like flowers, tan like sand, leafy green like trees.


But, when it came time to actually start picking colors, I was swayed in a completely different direction thanks to this cake picture:


It feels so sunny and warm. Also, fall in the mountains of Colorado is filled with brushed whites in Aspen's branches and golden yellows in their leaves. I started thinking yellow, cream, white, brown, and gold would suffice. Especially in a wooden barn surrounded by white tablecloths.

I found a couple of helpful tools online that break down your color scheme so you can carry it from vendor to vendor, detail to detail. First is DaGraeve.com's Color Palette Generator. You enter the URL of an image you are attracted to and it spits out the colors that are in that image. I put in this picture:

And it gave me this:


Not exactly what we would go with--we would use more whites, creams, and less khaki tones--but close.

The next tool I tried was Idee's Multicolor Search Lab Flickr Set. You put in your colors and it returns all of the images it finds on Flickr that include those colors. Here's what I put in:

And here's what it returned:


The last tool I tried was Color Hunter. I decided to use one of my original palettes with this by uploading this jpeg.


This was the custom palette it gave to me (too many reds):


We still haven't found an image that completely depicts our colors. But for now, these will do.

What tools/images did you use to find your color palette?


No comments:

Post a Comment