Tuesday, May 12, 2009

On This Harvest Moon

It started out completely unplanned. It involved cooking dinner in our new kitchen, one glass of wine, two handfuls of sage from our greenhouse, and Neil Young playing on the stereo. The song Harvest Moon came on and we started dancing a little, the harmonica sailing away in the background. We started thinking, this could be our first dance song. We both love it, the lyrics make me sigh, and it's easy enough to sway around to for three-and-a-half minutes or so. And it's the kind of song that makes me want to get lost in Mr. CB's eyes forever.



After a couple more minutes of both of us crooning in the kitchen, I started wondering "When is the full moon around our wedding date anyway?" I pulled out my crack-berry and got to work. The first calendar pulled up a full black circle over our date with a full grey circle over a few other dates. "I think it's the full moon," I said,"Oh, no, wait. Maybe it's no moon."

The Harvest Moon

Mr. Cowboy Boot took a look. "Nope, that's the full moon," he assured me. I couldn't believe it. The full moon on our wedding date. The barn's floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking that gorgeous valley and the mountains that surround it, completely white-washed with moonlight. If you've ever been at a high altitude on the full moon, you know how magical it is.

Moonlight over Colorado
(source)

Then I got even more curious. What's the actual "Harvest Moon"? I googled to find out it's the full moon closest to the September Equinox. It provides farmers with extra light as the days grow shorter so they can finish up harvesting their crops for the season.

More Moonlight over Colorado
(source)

So, when's the September Equinox? September 22nd. That makes the full moon on our wedding date the official Harvest Moon. I've been in shock since I found this out, completely in awe of the coincidence. I love it. And, yes, Neil Young's Harvest Moon is fated to be our first dance song. With lyrics like this, how can it not be?

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin
We could dream this night away.

But theres a full moon risin
Lets go dancin in the light
We know where the music's playin
Lets go out and feel the night.

Because Im still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because Im still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now its gettin late
And the moon is risin high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin in your eye.

Because Im still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because Im still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

To find out if what stage the moon will be in at your wedding, head here.

What's your first dance song? How did you pick it? Did you have any random coincidences happen with your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment