Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wedding Weekend: Hair Trial


This past weekend, like most brides-to-be including Ms. Perfume, I utilized the three-day weekend to wedding plan. A six-hour drive put me up near Denver on Friday night, ready for an appointment-filled couple of days. First stop: hair trial.

My naturally-straight hair in the Bahamas

As you've seen in past pictures, I have stick-straight hair. Always have. There's nothing wrong with straight hair--I don't have to "tame my curls" or worry too much about frizz--but, I've also never seen myself with curls. I'm often fond of wedding 'dos with soft, romantic curls, but since I've never had 'em, I wonder if I could feel like myself even with a little wave. 

The minute I told my stylist, Tasha Valenti of The Look Beauty Salon in Denver, that I'd never had anything other than straight, she busted out the curling iron. I showed her my inspiration photos and off to work she went.

Tasha getting to work

Things to keep in mind: 1) I will have a fake flower as a hair accessory (more on that later), 2) Tasha kept saying, "This is just a trial. It will look much more shiny, clean, and polished on the actual day." And 3) All pictures below are by my awesome friend Melanie Lidman who sat through the whole wedding-planning weekend with me. And gave her two cents (and sarcasm) when needed.

Style 1:  Curly side ponytail with woven back





I really like it from the front but it feels a little young to me. 

Style 2: The Low, Centered Chignon






I felt like the bun was a little flat against my neck. I wanted volume! And, I've worn my hair in a low chignon for the couple of proms I went to. I'm wondering if it's time to branch out.

Style 3: The Side Bun



The point of this was to have the bun peep out from behind my head so it didn't just look like my hair was up from the front on the low chignon. As you can see from the first picture, it doesn't really do that. Hmmm...

Style 4: Messy, Low Side Ponytail






Tasha had started to pull it out before this last pic was taken which is why that one section looks particularly long. I personally like the curled ponytail and volume from Style One, but with a less young style. 

In the end, Tasha told me to look at more inspiration photos. Find one I love and she'll do the style. I trust that she can. I was surprised by how much I loved my hair down with curls. Maybe I'll let my bangs grow out and decide if I want them back closer to the wedding. And, in the meantime, I'll be keeping my eye on some celebrities for inspiration 'dos. 

Kate Bosworth

Lindsay Lohan

Tasha re-curled my hair just before I left so I could spend the day with curly hair. 

Who's hair is better?

So, hive, which style do you like best above? Any suggestions? I didn't thoroughly love any of them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment