Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Finding the Perfect One. Period.

After skimming Wanna Buy a Watch's shelves and trying numerous rings on (some in my budget, some not), there was one that I just kept coming back to. She fit me perfectly (even better than my e-ring which has been re-sized three times). She was also a tad bit thinner than my engagement ring but had the same length "spread" of diamonds in the channel. The price tag for this beauty? $895.

I explained that my budget was $300 to the sales lady. I explained it sheepishly, I admit. Then I left. I thought about that ring a lot. It was platinum with milgrain, and nine channel-set diamonds equaling .22 carats of bling. Plus an inscription that's from 1907: "From BRP to WK."

A few days later, I went back to the store and told Christine, the salesperson, that I wanted it. But that the price just wasn't going to work for me. She said she'd have to talk to the owner (who was in Hawaii for the week) and would call me. I left, ringless.

Then, I had my bridal shower. My step-grandmother, who won't be able to make it to the wedding, gave me a very generous amount of money as a gift.

A couple of days later, I got a call from Christine. She said they could bring the price down to $600. From there, the negotiations started and we went back and forth. Eventually, we ended up at a price that was below $600 and was just enough for my grandmother's gift to make up the difference. I love that she contributed to this little piece of symbolism that will be on my hand forever.

We were able to save on tax by having the ring sent to New Mexico.

You want to see it, don't you? Lucky for you, we had a photo shoot this morning.






Did you negotiate the fee for your ring? Have you had a fun photo session to memorialize it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment