Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Dress that Almost Foiled My Plan

Occasionally, I break out the stack of wedding magazines I've obtained over the last year (can't believe we've been engaged that long!) and sift through them to see if any articles are relevant to where I am now in the planning process. It's amazing how certain articles become of interest at certain points throughout the planning process (i.e. dress pictures vs. invitation wording). Note to self: don't throw any magazines away--even if you think you've ripped out all the "relevant" articles and pictures.


Last night, I was flipping through a Brides from a few months ago when I came across an ad for a dress. It made me stumble in my tracks. Had I selected the right dress? Oh my, I need to try this on now. Could I forfeit the $500 deposit I'd already paid on my dress and bolt for another? And when was I going to get to a dress shop that carried this dress? The closest store was six hours away. Yes, hive, I got a wee bit frantic. 





I'm not one for jackets over the dress, but without the jacket, this dress is stunning. (Okay, I even like this jacket a teaspoon amount). Watch the moment in the video when the model takes off the jacket. It's actually really similar to my dress, but I can't help but trip and fall over the beading and embellishments on the chest that my dress lacks. 

So, I did what any sane, logical bride-to-be would do: I contemplated giving up my $500 deposit even if this dress was the same price as mine. I swooned. I swooned again. I picked up the phone to call Priscilla of Boston in Denver. I just had to know. How much was this beauty?

Then, quiet rained down. All was calm. This dress was $750 more than the one I've got waiting for me at Saks. I already let my budget get out of control on the dress front. There was no way I was going to dish out $4350 for a dress. Even if Priscilla of Boston can make the gown from scratch to fit. Your. Exact. Measurements. No alterations needed.

Okay, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now. 

Did a dress interrupt your smooth-sailing wedding plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment